• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My Jeweled Lacertas

AB^

5 Year Member
Timon lepidus

DSC02173-1.jpg

DSC02223-1.jpg

DSC02432.jpg

DSC02539.jpg

lizardboy101

5 Year Member
I LOVE these animals. I almost got a pair instead of my female red. Theyr probably one of the most beautiful reptiles I've ever encountered before. One question...how is their temperment. The chik that i was gonna buy them from said that they could become very tame and just hang out quit often. So, wuts ur personal overall opinion of them?

Der-Boa-Lieber

5 Year Member
I love those things and you have some nice looking ones! I would like to know how calm they are by nature. Handable or not?

AB^

5 Year Member
Repton said:
They are very cool looking, how much did they cost? Are they easy to keep?

They havent given me any problems besides the initial ones when i first received them. Their cost is also tied into those problems.
I origionally bought 1.1 for $200 shipped from a well known lacerta (and tegu) breeder. the animals arrived, I gave them a quick visual inspection and released them into their enclosure so they could hide and releive some stress after being shipped.
The next day I noticed the male was not right. He was not nearly as alert as the female and was quite lethargic.
I contacted the seller and was eventually told that if it died we would work something out. A day later (3 days after they arrived) the male went into a seizure and died. I contacted the seller who was not willing to except fault or to take responsibility and his best offer was to send him $60 more dollars for another male.
I told him I didnt think that was a fair offer and I disputed it. He basically told me take it or leave it, and with no other yearling jewled lacertas around I went and sent him the 60 bucks.

In the time between the male dying and sending the money ($60)
the female had begun to decline as well. it was getting bad pretty fast. So I went down and picked up soem baytril from a freind and gave her several injections over the course of a week and she began to pep back up and started eating (she had not eaten at all since arrival)

anywho there's a bit more to the story than that but that's the basics of it 260 for a yearling pair,plus emtional distress, a favor being pulled (baytril) and some headache--- was it worth it?
Not at the time, but I certainley do enjoy my lacertas now

AB^

5 Year Member
the female doesnt tolerate my prescence at all, she darts into a burrow as soon as I get too close, the male wont dart away until i get with in a couple inches of him, he will take food from tongs though.
I dont really handle any of my reptiles in any "taming" efforts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602