• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Michaelangelo and I thank you!

cyncyn143

Hey, howdy, wassup, and yo! My name is Cynthia and I live in Brooklyn, NY. I would like to tell you about my new tegu, Michaelangelo. He is a Colombian golden tegu which I purchased at the White Plains Reptile Expo this past February 12, 2017. Thanks to you, the contributors and the inquiriers, you have helped me gain some insight into the ownership and blossoming friendship of having a tegu. I told myself, "I want to have a tegu so badly!" Yes, I walked through the Expo aisles of snakes and geckos, and equipment and tarantulas...Maybe about 5 vendors showcased tegus... And I grew hopeless. I asked them if they carried young Argentine tegus, but 1 vendor sold 2 adults in the $200 range and juvie (I guess) Colombian ones at $60.In my mind and from my research, tegus in general need some kind of bonding process and socialization with their parent(s)... and I totally understood that. I totally wanted to raise a tegu to walk around my apartment and be able to call out to my lizard and have it come hither--So, I opted for the first tegu I could actually hold for the first time... One enclosed in a 7" round plastic container. He hadn't squirmed, since I learned how to scoop him up gently from YouTube... I felt so excited. I purchased the equipment from Petco, where the store manager printed out a care sheet and started pulling items off the shelves-- substrate, UVB bulb, basking combo bulbs, and a dual dome fixture. I felt confident... I owned ball pythons before (All I named Indie), and even currently 2 red ear sliders (Dahmer and P*ssy Turtle). I've realized I don't have the apartment space for an 8 ft cage... and that's when I realized Michaelangelo's adult size would suit me just fine! ;)

So... I began setting up the cage yesterday (14th... I was out of town with my lizard and the supplies). I was pondering the best placement of the overhead bulbs and hide, water dish, etc. I put my tegu in and it shat in the terrarium twice since he started chillin' in it. I'm noticing it has burrowed itself, which I GUESS is fine with me, I wanted to try some taming videos I recently saw... but I'm not going to F with it. I will look to see if he is out and about in the morning so I can feed him... I like hearing him "crunch" the dubia roaches.

Peace out :eek::tegu::p

beantickler

You may not see him again for weeks Cynthia... New tegus tend to hide most of the time so just put fresh food in the morning but only a little bit and soon he will eat and slowly start showing himself. That is when to start forming the bond. No one recommends removing a tegu from its hide so it will be completely up to him or her when the bonding will begin... So... Can we see pix of it or what?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam