• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Majestic Argentine Tegus

Nytes_Haven

I received an email with regards to a new type of Tegu, Majestic Argentine Tegu. Has anyone ever heard about this species? I have included the link, from the website, teguterra.com:

http://www.teguterra.com/majesticargentinetegus.htm

Am curious to know if anyone heard of them....

kellen.watkins

No never heard of them, never heard of a peach tegu or a spotted tegu, in all honesty "max" looks like a red blue hybrid you can definintly see blue and red characteristics

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's been discussed before,.. they're Red x Black hybrids. Although I have yet to see pics of the parents.

http://www.reptilechannel.com/reptile-magazines/reptiles-magazine/april-2011/majestic-argentine-tegu-bc.aspx

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
You sure they weren't just using majestic as an adjective to describe their tegus and not referring to a specific breed?

kellen.watkins

Yeah I believe they are trying to pass it off as a morph or breed considering they bred a "spotted tegu" and a "peach tegu" to make a majestic tegu, sounds like they got a cool baby out of a clutch and are spicing it up

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
kellen.watkins said:
Yeah I believe they are trying to pass it off as a morph or breed considering they bred a "spotted tegu" and a "peach tegu" to make a majestic tegu, sounds like they got a cool baby out of a clutch and are spicing it up

Agreed. But there are some wild tegus that have crazy colors, I do not think those are allowed to leave their native area though.
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=7504#axzz1WTlvdSFr

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member

Red x B&W crosses have been done and he has a separate section for them and Majestics on his site. It's marketing,.. you have High Contrast Reds but they're still Reds, you have Underground with Platinum Blues but,.. they are still Blue tegus. It's all marketing in some cases to tell them apart from others but in most cases it's about money.

But I still like how some of them look.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Yeah i agree with bubblz calhoun there just a hybrid tegu that he's using majestic to throw a different name out there for people to think there some new special tegu for people to want to go out and buy one off him,its about money.I talked to Johnny LaRocca about these on the phone when the article came out in reptile magazine and he told me he was going to sell these for like 1,000 dollars for these and then he offered me one for like 300.00 dollars and i was going to send him the money and he kept dragging his feet,i dont like to put down breeders or bash but i think this majestic tegu is a bunch of BS just my opinion.If your going to go with a hybrid stick with bobby hill and his AA tegus at least he's pretty honest guy.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Dont get me wrong i m not hating on the tegu,but i was talking to the guy back in march and i got proof of the fact the guy was going to try to sell them for 1,000 a piece and was going to give me a great deal on one for 300.00 then when i was ready to send him the money he drug his feet,i smell bs sorry just another hybrid.Again if you want a nice hybrid buy a AA from bobby good price,awsome tegu,pretty honest breeder IMO........

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
1k is really high, I hate to compare colombians and argentines too much but it reminds me of the $1200 colombian thats been on fauna for months. They do have nice colors but its not "rare". Hopefully this guy is able to sell some of them but I have a hard time seeing people line up for the babies at that price.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Well 300.00 was suppose to be with shipping which isnt bad.But just alot of breedrs throw these names on these tegu's just to up the price,and other breeders have good prices and good bloodlines,not say here's a red stripped,blood red,red mango etc, lol,and up the price 100 dollars for the same red tegu.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yep...just a marketing name. The same thing happens with corn snake morphs when someone comes up with something new. You have to be be pretty widely accepted into the community to make up a name and have it stick. He did list it in Reptiles as a red x black hybrid.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny