• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Kink in baby snake????

goodtimes

5 Year Member
My Ball Python eggs hatched and finally came out of their eggs today. I rinsed them off and put them into separate tubs.

I noticed right off one has a pretty severe kink in it's spin about two inches from it's tail. What should I do? Will it be able to live normally with this? The other four came out looking great. The kinky one actuall seems fine and looks great as well just kinky.

Pikey

5 Year Member
i'd say 50/50 it may live a normal life or it might give him/her problems later on in life

themedic

Their are a couple possibilities you can get when you breed snakes.

You can either get a normal, which is a normal looking ball python.
You can get a HET, which means the animal carries the genetic trait of the mother/father.
Or you can get Homo, which is like an albino, ivory or spider ball python.

What kind of ball python is it, I know some genetic species ball python like the Caramel are known for the kink on their spinal cord, also spider ball pythons are known for the head bob, this is all because of all the in breeded selective breeders have done to acheive certain genetic outcomes.

Hope this helps.

goodtimes

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies!

I breed my Normal female to my Lemon Pastel male. I had a couple of temp.
spikes in the first two days after they hatched. I am pretty sure this is what caused the problem. What should I do, is there anything to do? I can't feel right about selling the kinky one to anybody. Maybe I will find someone to take a chance on the little one.

themedic

Kinks, and physical abnormalities dont effect genetic traits/breeding habits.

Normal X Lemon Pastel.

Were you trying to make some pastels?

How high were the spikes in your temp and for how long?

How many snakes did you get in the clutch?

How many days did you allow to incubate?

Pikey

5 Year Member
if you want to hand it off i would take it and care for it. & would keep you posted on it progress

goodtimes

5 Year Member
To themedic,
I wasn't necesarily trying to get anything specific, just simply trying my hand at breeding, and I did get one very nice pastel out of the bunch. There were originally 7 eggs, all of which looked great (nice, smooth, white, plump eggs). I candled and found one to be infertile. About three weeks in one egg lost its veins and began to sour. The remaining five incubated for 61 days before pipping, and fully emerged from their eggs after 1 1/2 to 2 days after pipping. The spikes were somewhere around 95 degrees, ( I did not have my incubator set up for the first two days and had the tub on top of the substrate in moms cage above the UTH, I kept checking and adjusting the depth of the substrate to change the temp). I was unprepared for the eggs and kinda freaked out a bit. The spikes were not for too long as I was home off and on checking them. I hope I have answered your questions.

To Pikey,

I would love for someone to have it that would care for it. PM me and we can talk about it.

Thanks for the replies.

themedic

Well, congrats on your clutch.

Wow 1 pastel out of 5 eggs not good odds! lol oh well, this is part of breeding snakes i suppose, you should try to get some super pastels, nothin better then a super pastel to go into a breeding collection so many possibilities with the super pastel genetic trait!

good luck on your future breeding projects!!

goodtimes

5 Year Member
Here are a couple pictures of the kinked one.[attachment=1][attachment=0]

Attachments

• 077.JPG
    515 bytes · Views: 169
  • 070.JPG
    515 bytes · Views: 80

Pikey

5 Year Member
it's a cute li'l guy/girl. I cant wait to give it a home.
All in all it's not that bad i was thinking a outward or sideways kink, but it looks good

tora

Awws, I wish I would have stepped up and nabbed this little one. :)
That kink doesn't look as bad as I expected, either.

goodtimes

5 Year Member
Wow, it is great to hear from such kind peoples! It gives me great hope for the little one hearing you guys say it doesn't look so bad. I had never seen anything like this before and was very sad about it. I am sure Pikey will give it a great loving home. Thanks for the replies!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam