• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Keeping Colombian awake more?

Dirkthejerk41

Hi all, I was just curious if there is any way to promote my Colombian tegu staying awake for longer periods? As of now, he is only out of his borrow between 2-5 hours a day, and I would really like to spend more time with him than that. Yesterday, I waited to feed him and he seemed to stay up for about 5, but I still would prefer him being up for hours. All his temps seem good, and he has hides. Basking spot of 110-120 depending on house temp, hot side 80-90, cool side 75-80, uvb, all of it. right now I have him on a 12 hour light cycle.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That sounds about right. I have always found that my Colombians just don't bask as much as my others. They are awake, but under the shelf hanging out.

Dirkthejerk41

Do you know if there is a way to keep him from burrowing so much? Well, not really to prevent his burrowing, but to promote him being out longer?

treysik

I'm not sure you can. Mine is the same way and it makes it hard for feeding. My lights go from 9am to 9pm, I leave at 7am for work. My wife told me he never comes our before 12pm and when I get home at 5:30pm, he's already back in his burrow. It's tough, as it makes it hard to feed him or to work on taming him. I have to place his food in every morning before going to work. I don't like doing that, but I have no choice.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I can only speak about my two. They do seem to hang out more as they get older. They are more confident, less skittish, etc.

Dirkthejerk41

yeah mine is a bit skittish but NEVER aggressive like everyone says... the worst he ever does is huff a bit, which is actually adorable. He has never gaped or anything.

treysik

Mine is only about 2 months old. He/she isn't aggressive, just huffs a bit. He/she has gaped a couple times, but not often. Never tries to bite.

When do they start calming down? As babies they are so darn fast!

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's been so long. I got my Colombian female in 2006 and she was prob6-9mos old. Maybe at about 2yrs when she was at her adult size. It was a gradual slow down.

Sebastian Arcila

I just got my colombia tegu last week she does the same thing shes 1 year old she had only eaten a couple of things n come out 2 days but shes back under

nepoez

5 Year Member
Mine is out from 11am to 4pm. I've had him since he was maybe 2 months old. Now it's probably 4 months old. Here is from last month. He's a chicken.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam