• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Just came home from the Pittsburgh reptile show with this young man.

beantickler

I bought this as a male Red Tegu at the Pittsburgh Reptile Show. He is super friendly so far. I have him in a 55g on zoo med cypress mulch with a 300w zoo med dual fixture 150w infared and 150w uvb 10.0. This is my first visit here and my first Tegu. Ill be reading up on this site to learn as much as I can. Let me know what you all think of him please. He is about 12 - 14 inches. What is a good price for him? I paid 175. Thanks for checking him out.

Attachments

• closeupintank.jpg
    closeupintank.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 166
  • goodsideshot.jpg
    goodsideshot.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 160
  • goodrearsideshot.jpg
    goodrearsideshot.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 155
  • crawlingunderchair.jpg
    crawlingunderchair.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 151

beantickler

I was also wondering why I cant seem to get my humidity above 65%... I have a screen lid with towels covering most of it. I spray the mulch he is in quite a few times today and i can see the moisture in it against the glass. I am using 2 different gauges also and they read the same...

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
65% is fine. You can provide moist not damp sphagnum in his hide box.

He's beautiful and outwardly appears healthy. 250.00-300.00 would be typical.

Lizardess

Geez... This forum is a ghost town... Lol

Hi there,

I'm certainly no expert, but I will try to help with what I can. I have two tegus, as well as other reptiles, and have kept assorted exotics for over 15 years. The people here tend to be much friendlier than a lot of other forums that I have been on, and I prefer it here for that reason. Even when advising, no one seems to go out of their way to be a jerk. You're little beauty is going to very quickly outgrow that 55 gallon setup. Young tegus can shed up to once per week, and they are highly intelligent and inquisitive. They eat like little horses too! The general consensus is whole prey, but many keepers-unless you breed your own feeders-opt for alternatives that are less expensive. If you choose to go that route, I cannot stress enough the importance of supplements! Vitamins and calcium are important, and while many people do not take their pets to the vet unless they are clearly sick, all of my animals get an annual "well lizard check up" in addition to any visits that may be needed. Welcome to the hobby, and welcome to the forum!

beantickler

Thank you. My tegu will only be in his 55 for at most 2 more weeks... I already have most of my materials for his new home. I'm doing an 8 by 4 by 3 plywood with front opening plexiglass. I was planning on using marine epoxy paint for interior and exterior. I plan on starting this weekend and finishing next.

This lizzard absolutely loves my daughter so I let her name him... Lol his name is Steve. Thanks for the tips

beantickler

Lol... dont u remember my thread about this guy going psycho on me? He lunged at my 7 year Olds face and then started biting me... Wife caught wind of it and she put the foot down... Ended up selling him and now I have snibs black and white. It really was a shame cause he was really good looking to me... In the end I'm ever happier with my new guy.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Lol... dont u remember my thread about this guy going psycho on me? He lunged at my 7 year Olds face and then started biting me... Wife caught wind of it and she put the foot down... Ended up selling him and now I have snibs black and white. It really was a shame cause he was really good looking to me... In the end I'm ever happier with my new guy.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Oh sh$t, Bean, I do remember now. Man, have we all been through alot with our dragons.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam