• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is it a boy or girl? Not good at this lol

M3rKzZx

Is it possible to tell the gender from this photo?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 90

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A close-up head-on of the vent that shows just under the edges well should clinch it. BBs you'll feel.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Do you have any pics or vids that I can see to help me check? @Walter1
If you google up sexing tegus, there are some good visuals to show the difference in scalation between the sexes.

Just below the cloaca, near either side, a male, no matter how young, will have enlarged scales. The female won't.

Your pic was sort of an upside down one. Couldn't be certain, but looked female.

I don't remember when, but definitely beginning at a young age, you can feel the male's BBs alongside the base of the tail. These are associated with allowing for the male's hemipenes to evert during mating.

Keep posted. Let's figure out which you have.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Is this picture better? @Walter1
Yes. Looks very much to be a male. I wish I could show you on the picture. If you draw a line south from the edge of the cloaca just to before the tail, you'll see a short line of three rows of large scales. That says male.

M3rKzZx

Thanks! So it is a male after all :) actually happier that I don't have to rename him lol and also I have a question do you know if male genes are more dominant then females on tegus? So let's say I have a albino tegu would being a male make it a higher change of them coming out more albinos or gender doesn't matter? @Walter1

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks! So it is a male after all :) actually happier that I don't have to rename him lol and also I have a question do you know if male genes are more dominant then females on tegus? So let's say I have a albino tegu would being a male make it a higher change of them coming out more albinos or gender doesn't matter? @Walter1
You're welcome. The gender won't matter.

ophidia

I knew I'd get it! Now I have to flip my "girl" over and take a look. I thought I felt BB's earlier. Should BB's be palpable at 17"?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I knew I'd get it! Now I have to flip my "girl" over and take a look. I thought I felt BB's earlier. Should BB's be palpable at 17"?
I don't know for sure but might be too young for their formation. So, maybe, but don't sweat it if you don't. Feel around the side of the "smile", south to the enlarged scales you just circled. See what happens.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced