• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I don't have a tegu yet, but I am about to remedy that.

theDregs

Hi, I am theDregs! My son and I have been getting into herps for the last year or so. We have researched and researched Tegus and we took the plunge last week. I purchased a hatchling from Teguterra last week, we're just waiting for the OK to go pick him/her up. (We haven't yet decided if we want a male or female. He wants a jowly boy and I want a female).

Hopefully we can go up Sunday and pick it out. I plan to ask Mr. Larocca for permission to take pics of his breeding facilities. If he gives me the OK, I will post them here for you guys. If not..well I can always post baby tegu pics!

I have a 55 gallon aquarium with a mixture of potting soil and sand set up. (He/she/it will stay there until I build something better) I have two hides, a water bowl, and a slate basking area in there for him. I have a Megaray 160 mercury vapor bulb on the way. We even have a stock of live mealworms and dubia on the way. We're loaded for bear here. All I don't have is a tegu.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to TeguTalk TheDregs! A new bar called The Dregs just opened up here in town :)
Congrats on your new tegu. I can't wait to see photos of him! TeguTerra is a big TeguTalk supporter so hopefully he'll give you the inside scoop so we all can see!
Sounds like you're ready to go! I think you'll be very pleased once your little guy arrives! Keep us updated!

theDregs

We went to TeguTerra today to pick out our tegu! It was a bit of an adventure. Dude has some big dogs that own the place. One of them parked her butt in front of our car and stayed there. Since there was no cell service out there, we were stranded there honking until he rescued us.

Unfortunately, we didn't get any pics. My cell battery was down to nothing. But we did get to see about 50 baby tegus and some breeding stock! We picked one that seemed fat, happy, and comfortable with us. I think we made a great choice, too. Mr LaRocca reckons it's a male. When we put him in his new tank he hid for all of two minutes, then marched up to his basking spot. He's been observing us ever since. I am going to try to feed him this evening.

His temporary name is Gmork.

Mr. LaRocca also had a bunch of dubia that he detests. He gave me approximately 100 adults with a warning to kill first them if I plan on feeding them to Gmork. What a deal! I am setting up their colony now.

Attachments

• 2013-08-25 12.08.28.jpg
    2013-08-25 12.08.28.jpg
    765.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 2013-08-25 12.15.42.jpg
    2013-08-25 12.15.42.jpg
    888.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

theDregs

He is a busy little guy. He makes tunnels and fusses about his aquarium all day. He is already accepting food from both my wife and I's hand. He wants to eat ALL THE EGGS.

Logie_Bear

What a cutie! Congrats on your new acquisition! You'll be surprised how quickly he'll start to outgrow that 55gal. Those babies are eating machines. XD I'd be wary about offering eggs too often, they can develop an addiction to them and not want to eat anything else you offer. That being said, they are a favorite of my gu as well. Especially quail eggs. Yum!

theDregs

I did my researcho_O

So far he has had superworms, eggs, and turkey meat w/ eggs(with shell), liver/gizzards, and mango.
I have some dubia for him that I plan on trying today. So far he has eaten everything like a champ, right out of hand. Not sure about hand feeding a roach though. they're squiggly.

theDregs

Here is a pic after eating a superworm, some turky concoction, and a bit of grape. Can you overfeed a hatchling? He looks like a stuffed sausage.

Attachments

• 2013-08-28 11.27.52.jpg
    2013-08-28 11.27.52.jpg
    845.3 KB · Views: 33

jtrux

5 Year Member
You did well to buy from Johnny, he's very knowledgeable and friendly. I have had my tegu from him for approx. 1 month and he's doing great. You won't be disappointed.

theDregs

G'Mork finished the majority of his shedding today and ate a massive meal. Here is a pic of him all fat and pretty.

Attachments

• IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 21

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam