• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I can either rescue a beardie or get a tegu. What to do?

Dragonmom

Hi, for the last 6 months I've been rescuing a beardie that I got from a school. He's still in BAD shape. After he was healthy, I was going to get a tegu too and keep the healthy beardie, as we have established such a bond. Last night, my parents said if I keep the beardie I will never be able to have a reptile again, not even the tegu I've dreamed off since I was 10! If I give the beardie back to the school today, I can get a tegu, but never another reptile again. I love this beardie so much, but tegus are something I've wanted forever and my parents were finally gonna get me one. I already had the enclosure plans and was about to build!!! What should I do. My parents don't understand that I live both. Also, I forgot to mention that the beardie is VERY aggressive. What do I choose??? I already have experience with late lizards and snakes, and I run a rescue.

Zyn

Raise the dragon wait till you're older with a job and your own place for the tegu like a few of us suggested in the other thread.

Dragonmom

Raise the dragon wait till you're older with a job and your own place for the tegu like a few of us suggested in the other thread.
I really think I should raise the dragon, but I'm currently going through some really tough medical problems, I'm kind of short and spend money, so I have money set aside enough for a tegu, cage, lighting, food for a couple of years, etc., but I don't know if the dragons vet bills might actually cost more than that and to feed it. Plus, the tegu was going to be an ESA for me, between the medical problems and emotional problems, I really need one, and I don't think an aggressive dragon will fulfill those needs.

Dragonmom

Update: I went to return the beardie today, but they didn't want them!!! My mom says no exceptions, I got the beardie. I had my heart set on a tegu. Is there any way I can convince her to get both. And the only other reptile lover in my small town abuses her animals!!! I don't know what to do, I can't get support from an aggressive beardie

beardeddragon111

Quite honestly I don't know why she only wants you to be able to get one. If you have the resources to care for a tegu you should be able to care for a bearded dragon too. Sorry but I don't know how to help.

Dragonmom

Yeah. Now I'll have to work again so I can pay the dragons vet bills. I seriously already had the tegu cage materials and was like two days from starting to build it. And I don't wanna be the person who gives up their reptile on Craigslist. Ugh

bd0795

Im going to play devils advocate and advise you to hold off on the tegu for now. They are high maintenance animals and you're only going to compound your stress by adding in another animal. By all means, go ahead and get a tegu if you really have your heart set on it. They are wonderful animals, but def not easy to care. Plus, two animals = more $$ per month

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980