• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How to convince mom to let me get a tegu

Dragonmom

Ok, so a month ago, my mom said that I could have one more reptile if it fit in an 55 gallon or smaller (I eventually talked her up to a 8x3x3) she said I could choose whatever I wanted. I researched for a little and then decided I wanted a tegu. I am of course going to do more research, but I wanted to tell what I wanted first. She said she didn't want me to get a tegu because "I have enough herps". I only have three right now and one of them is actually someone else's that I'm watching. A year ago I had 16 (most were rescues that I rehomed, hence why I only have three) anyways, I pay for the caging, food, animals itself, vet bills, and I keep it in my room. How do I convince her to let me get a tegu? She doesn't like the idea of a "big ugly cage"

Zyn

Wait till youre older you won't regret it. Maybe get a blue tongue skink instead.

dpjm

5 Year Member
I agree with Zyn, wait until you are older and have your own place. You'll NEVER be able to find a place to rent when you want to move out on your own if you have a large lizard like that.

Zyn

100% agree with Dpjm. I know you want one and every part of you says you'll be an amazing Tegu owner and that's true you're here so you're already on your way to being a great owner.

But these lizards live long lives and my opinion was based in personal experience. At 32 and a home owner, I just now bought the reptiles I've been wanting since I was 16, and I'm glad i waited, because I'm able to give him all the space he needs and have all the resources needed to support him. What a lot of younger people don't do is think about the next 10 years. What happens when he needs to go to the vet and happens to have a 3000+ vet bill if some form of surgery is needed. That's not a burden I'd wish on anyone's parents. What happens when you finish school and new opertunties arise like college. This is where personal experience comes in. I knew at 16 a Tegu just wasn't in the cards, so I ended up with a beautiful red tail boa and two ball pythons. Fast forward a few years and guess what i couldn't take my reptiles with me to live in the small dorm room I was assigned at the university I went to. With no one to care for them I was stuck and forced to find better homes for them. It was a sad experience but one with a lesson. I'm finally able to have the reptiles I wanted as well as a family and a home. Which is a better life for all involved.

Now teens being teens I can only offer the advice I have. Just something to think about, I don't know you, your family, or your situation just throwing out some personal experience I had, that may or may not give you something to consider when making your final choices.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced