• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello there...

Sharpset62

Hey guys/gals, my name is Joe I live in New York and own a 2 year old B&W Argentine female and a newly adopted 2 year old Male Red. Both housed in the same enclosure which is 8'x4'x5 with about a 3' (deepest section) soil substrate. I am currently constructing the males enclosure which will probably be close in size to the females. My basking area reaches about 100 degrees give or take and my cool side ranges from 80-85. My female does Hibernate. This morning I woke to a freshly dug hole near the basking area containing 14 eggs. The eggs dont look to good but I placed them into my incubator just in case. I will post pics of my enclosure and eggs in the appropriate sections on the boards. Thanks

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome and Ye gods! Is she defending the nest? How long reckon they've been there? What makes you think they're not well???

Sharpset62

Hey Walter1 here is what they look like.

Attachments

• IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 14

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
she laid them last night and now is in her burrow which she has sealed up completely.
Well, she'll have to come to terms that her clutch is gone. Leave her be. She may be very unfriendly for a while as female tegus ate very defensive of their nests. Eggs gone, but hormone levels the same.

Sharpset62

Walt, take a look at the "Male red" I adopted. Possible its a female? The eggs were burried and he was in the sealed burrow with them though my daughter watched my B&W make the burrow?

Attachments

• IMG_1062.JPG
    IMG_1062.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 11

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Walt, take a look at the "Male red" I adopted. Possible its a female? The eggs were burried and he was in the sealed burrow with them though my daughter watched my B&W make the burrow?
All but certain your red is a young mature male.

Curious things can occur in the confines of capivity AND with two different species. What should happen is that the female gets edgy, makes, and then defends her nest from all comers even other lizards having nothing to do with tryting to get to the eggs. Very interesting.

Sharpset62

Yes, and whats funny he was a puppy dog up untill these eggs got laid. Now, he is a beast! has tried to bite me several times and has charged a couple times

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced