• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hatchling Tegu - Sleeping all day

FluffyGoo

Hello,

I have a new hatchling tegu. Chacoan black and white. For the purposes of this message we'll just assume it's a "she".
She was shipped to me on Tuesday morning. I put her in her enclosure and went back to work.

Since then (it's now Thursday evening) I have only seen her once basking in the morning before I hastened off to work. She hasn't eaten or anything and I'm terribly worried.
The popular opinion is to never dig a tegu out of their hide but I'm starting to feel desperate.

Everything I read says they need time to acclimate but I haven't come across anything where a hatchling tegu is hiding all day and therefore I can't offer any food to her. I put in some crickets dusted with calcium one morning but none of them were eaten by the time I came home.

Basking spot of about 100, overall temp in the upper 80's, and humidity fluctuates between 70 - 80%.
She's dug herself a lovely little hide in the substrate (eco-earth) and I can't see how she's doing.

Any advice? Help?
This is my first tegu so I want to be careful.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hello,

I have a new hatchling tegu. Chacoan black and white. For the purposes of this message we'll just assume it's a "she".
She was shipped to me on Tuesday morning. I put her in her enclosure and went back to work.

Since then (it's now Thursday evening) I have only seen her once basking in the morning before I hastened off to work. She hasn't eaten or anything and I'm terribly worried.
The popular opinion is to never dig a tegu out of their hide but I'm starting to feel desperate.

Everything I read says they need time to acclimate but I haven't come across anything where a hatchling tegu is hiding all day and therefore I can't offer any food to her. I put in some crickets dusted with calcium one morning but none of them were eaten by the time I came home.

Basking spot of about 100, overall temp in the upper 80's, and humidity fluctuates between 70 - 80%.
She's dug herself a lovely little hide in the substrate (eco-earth) and I can't see how she's doing.

Any advice? Help?
This is my first tegu so I want to be careful.
OK. First raise basking twmp to 110-115 F. Make sure the hide is at the other end and is mid-upper 70s F. Gradient air temps in mid-80s F.

Now, young or old, newly-moved tegu takes time to adjust a week or two usually. Count out your crickets and wait and see. She'll eventually work up the nerve to explore and then establish a routine. She'll come out even briefly to drink and to bask if not hidden near the hot spot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980