• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Gronk the tegu

TeguMan

So i was wondering if you guys could show me some pics of your enclosures and lights at proper height and let me know if i should run a heat emitter. My new enclosure will be Friday or Saturday i had it professional built. Its 8 and half long 7 feet high amd 30 inches wide. I got 2 100 watt basking bulbs 1 75 watt night red heat light uva uvb light and a day bulb also a 100 watt heat emitter. I got a thermostat also to control the heat emitter. Show me pics of your enclosure so i can set it up right thank you guys.

Attachments

• Message_1488387786464.jpg
    Message_1488387786464.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18

dpjm

5 Year Member
I think you will need to increase both the wattage of your lights and the number of them that you are using. Two 100 W lamps and heat emitter probably aren't going to bring the temps anywhere close to where they should be. Especially with a 7 ft high enclosure (much higher than most), a lot of the heat is going to sit at the top of the enclosure, just due to hot air rising.

You won't be able to get a good idea of how high to put the lights by looking at other setups, light placement is very trial and error. You try at one location, have it run for a day or two, taking temperature readings until it is stable, then make appropriate adjustments.

I have my tegu set up in a bedroom, so high ceilings are an issue for me too. I keep the entire room warm and provide a basking station. I run a ceiling fan on reverse to blow the heat back down, not sure if it actually works. Just for your reference, for my basking station I run 2 x 175 W halogen lamps and 1 x 100 W MegaRay UV lamp in a triangular arrangement. The halogens are around 15 inches from the floor and the MegaRay is around 25 inches from the floor.

Unless the room the enclosure is in gets really cold at night, there is no need for any night time heat. Tegus need a good cool down period at night. I would not use any heat at night, including emitters or red lamps. If you do require night time heat, emitters are much better than red lamps, though.

I think a good idea is for you to set up your enclosure the way you think, then take a bunch of photos and upload them here. We will be able to help you better with more information to go on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602