• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Green tree python

Dirkthejerk41

Okay, so for my next herp I am very interested in the green tree pythons. I am aware that they are not very social and some may be very aggressive, but I am fascinated by them. That being said, do ya'll think a 4x2x2 enclosure would work for one?

treysik

As they are arboreal, if the 4' is height, then yes that is fine. Make sure you have at least 2 perches at different heights but 3 is ideal. If you get a baby they are VERY fragile and you keep handling to a minimum. Need a good steady humidity too so if you can get a good enclosure to hold humidity then it makes things easier.

As a baby it's best to keep them in a sterilite plastic bin. Put perches in it and try and mount a water dish higher up too. In a baby bin I used an air stone in a water dish to help keep humidity up but also keeps the water moving, enticing them to drink.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dirkthejerk41 said:
Idk dude i've read things that say many people keep them in 18"-24" tall

They're wrong. These pythons are arboreal to the fullest, provide 3ft of height but the ideal height is 4ft. These are tree dwellers and will rarely use any floor space you may provide. Listen to what treysik has said and go with a higher enclosure, dude.

treysik

18" to 24" as hatchlings. Adults require at minimum 36", but as I said 48" is ideal. They LOVE to climb and will likely never go to the ground. What I like about them is the fact they are always out as they don't go down into a hide, just stay perched - allows you to see them in all their gorgeous glory. They are a display snake. Kind of like a fish tank. Decorate it nicely, slap perches in their and watch their beauty from a distance.

Dirkthejerk41 said:
What do you think about flipping the 4x2x2 on it's side and rearranging somethings to accomodate that?

That will work. Make sure the lid is secure though.

Dirkthejerk41

Okay, I may end up doing that then... we will see. I am trying to decide between a green tree python, a brazilian rainbow boa, or a red tail.

Jstew

I care for a 7 year old red tail at work and she's great. If I were you I'd stick with the python they're awesome. I've handled a few biaks and have had minimal biting. Good choice!

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Re: RE: Green tree python

Dirkthejerk41 said:
Idk dude i've read things that say many people keep them in 18"-24" tall

Things like carpet pythons can live in min of 18 high because are semi aboreal but i think tree pythons do need much higher to feel secure. You'll probably be better off with going as high as you can because then if the snake is more comfortable your interactions will be too. Just my opinion. :)

Sorry...haha. didn't read whole thread. ;)

Grendel

The fact that GTPs are arboreal means you need branches in your enclosure for them to coil on and not just bare ground. It does not mean you need a certain height if enclosure . They will do just as well in a horizontal or vertical enclosure as long as the decor/ temp/ lights/ humidity are correct.
It is just plain silly to state that a 4 or 5ft high enclosure is right and 2-3 ft is wrong. In nature these snakes would travel vertical heights if many more feet, in captivity it's always just a "small box".

Bagnara16

If your looking for a snake to handle and interact with green tree pythons might not be ideal. I've owned two and loved then both. One was nippy the other was pretty tolerant to handling but their bites can get nasty. If your wanting a snake to handle red tail boas are awesome !! Good luck with everything and make sure the humidity stays up!

Dirkthejerk41

Thank you! I have a melamine enclosure that I think would work nicely for either, but after doing some research ive been finding some bad things about melamine and humidity...

treysik

Grendel said:
The fact that GTPs are arboreal means you need branches in your enclosure for them to coil on and not just bare ground. It does not mean you need a certain height if enclosure . They will do just as well in a horizontal or vertical enclosure as long as the decor/ temp/ lights/ humidity are correct.
It is just plain silly to state that a 4 or 5ft high enclosure is right and 2-3 ft is wrong. In nature these snakes would travel vertical heights if many more feet, in captivity it's always just a "small box".

Unfortunately this couldn't be more wrong. I have extensive experience with them. The higher up from the enclosure floor, the more secure they will feel. Arboreal means just that. Housing them in a 2 foot high enclosure for an adult GTP will only stress them out.

Tannaros

treysik said:
Unfortunately this couldn't be more wrong. I have extensive experience with them. The higher up from the enclosure floor, the more secure they will feel. Arboreal means just that. Housing them in a 2 foot high enclosure for an adult GTP will only stress them out.

I do have to say - while I have no personal experience with them - those who I've spoken to, and a vast majority of set ups I see are no where near 48", most GTPs I see seem to do fine and even thrive in their 2' enclosures. Though it always looks better, to me at least, to see a taller enclosure from an aesthetic point of view.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced