• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Getting tegu out of the cage

Alex_villela_83

Hey guys, I am having some problems with getting my B&W tegu out of the cage. He will try to run away and whip me with his tail almost every time. He is only three months but I'm not sure if he should be acting like this because he is being held every day if not then every other day, for at least 20min. If I put my hand in his cage he will often pause then walk the other direction. How do I make him want to come onto my hand to get our of the cage?

Going to take some patience. It is still pretty young so it will warm up to you over time.Every tegu is different.

Mine is about 8 mos old and she is still kind of shy when I place my hand in the tank. I don't try to grab her cuz it can be uncomfortable or sudden so I just lay my open palm on the substrate and she eventually walks right on top of it. I heard of people using a water bowl to establish a positive association with your hand ( when you place them in the water and let go they seek your hand to get out), but I think that can also have an opposite effect.

solo87

Mine is about 7 mos. I use his food to lure him out. I wonder if that's bad?!?! Otherwise, he runs if I try to pick him up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savemygrave

Hey guys, I am having some problems with getting my B&W tegu out of the cage. He will try to run away and whip me with his tail almost every time. He is only three months but I'm not sure if he should be acting like this because he is being held every day if not then every other day, for at least 20min. If I put my hand in his cage he will often pause then walk the other direction. How do I make him want to come onto my hand to get our of the cage?
I don't ever try to take my tegu out of her cage unless she wants to come out. Her cage is on the floor so I usually sit down, slide open the door and she will usually wander out in her own time. When it comes to picking her up I usually do that when she's out of her cage so she still associates her cage as safe.

My girl is over a year old now and still isn't keen on holding for long periods of time and 9 times out of 10 she will usually put up a fight. Keep at it though and take your time! It's taken me the best part of a year to bond with mine and I spend most days with her for hours at a time. :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Melisande

The guy from NERD says that with large lizards you should give them small enclosures at first and force contact or they will get used to hiding and burrowing. He says he disagrees with the giving lizards time theory. He said that once they realize the hands touching them won't eat them, then you give them a big space. He has large retics, water monitors, and even croc monitors. Tegus by nature are friendlier, so I think if it works for his stuff ,maybe it will work for yours. Meghan Kelly (anacondas and the amazing croc monitor Max) says the same, to always hold them as babies when their teeth aren't big so that as adults you can approach them confidently. I also hear from other rep keepers to give them space, wait on their cues, so I don't know. Just throwing out suggestions as my fourth post. lol. Sorry

Savemygrave

The guy from NERD says that with large lizards you should give them small enclosures at first and force contact or they will get used to hiding and burrowing. He says he disagrees with the giving lizards time theory. He said that once they realize the hands touching them won't eat them, then you give them a big space. He has large retics, water monitors, and even croc monitors. Tegus by nature are friendlier, so I think if it works for his stuff ,maybe it will work for yours. Meghan Kelly (anacondas and the amazing croc monitor Max) says the same, to always hold them as babies when their teeth aren't big so that as adults you can approach them confidently. I also hear from other rep keepers to give them space, wait on their cues, so I don't know. Just throwing out suggestions as my fourth post. lol. Sorry
I've tried both techniques and find giving my girl space and time the most rewarding. She approaches me without fear and knows I'm a friend. We're both learning to interact with each other. I'd rather have a stress free tegu and a happy one :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

beantickler

Is the cage in a room where the tegu can walk around??? How high off the ground is the opening to its cage? Can you build a ramp so it is able to walk out on his or her own? I found that if you let your tegu roam around the room it will eventually come check you out and eventually become confident enough to crawl up and down you. As the days or weeks pass you will then pet it and then move on to holding and who knows what else... Also when trying to pick up a tegu you want to slide in under its chin and front half palm up so it doesnt think you want to eat it.

Do you have a picture of your setup?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam