• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Frawg feeding, DUW

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Out of dozens of attempted photographs I only got a handful of clear ones.. The dumpy pics were all terrible but I got some pretty good ones of my african bullfrog, "Frawg", eating some roaches.

Anticipation stance:
100e0759.jpg

Best action shot I could manage:
100e0756.jpg

I like this one cause the piece of roach wing floating down, he's that fast!:
100e0758.jpg

Only shot I got of his chompers, a bit blurry:
100e0761.jpg

100_0742.jpg

100e0760.jpg

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've had some close calls but luckily havn't taken a full bite yet; best he's done is barely nip the edge of a knuckle as I was spot cleaning. Just watching and listening to the crunch as he feeds I definitely don't want a first hand experience taking a full bite, especially at his now largish size, so I'll continue to play it safe. He's ok when not overly hungry(which is basically never, lol) but will always square away with the target before attacking. I've gotten into the habit of coming from behind when I need to move him. He won't jump and turn in midair to make a strike. Instead he quickly turns his whole body to be facing the target before taking the lunge(much like any frog really if you've watch toads or tree frogs at night). Those big beady eyes are always screaming "I hunger" at me, It's no wonder most in captivity are morbidly obesse :-D

As far as the bite goes, they have those odontoid projections that're much like teeth. If you look at I think the 4th picture down you can see them, 3 teeth in a row on the middle of the lower jaw.. If you ever watch one eat and hear the sickening crunch you'll know they ain't no joke :-D

the enigma

YES those frogs hurt! I have been biten by mine (I had no clue something that ....weighed down could move that fast). Similiar to John Matthew, my bite wasn't full on he just clipped my finger...got my attetion though

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He's just under 6 inches s/v and not really aggressive. They always seem to be hungry though and anything moving within strike range is fair game. He's never taken a bite at me once I've laid hands on him, just when I'm reaching in/around his enclosure. When I need to pick im up I just have to get a hand under him before he makes his strike.

preston897

is he going to get any bigger? that seems like a decent sized frog to me. and sorry for the double post. didnt realize i did that.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Been trying to find a male but no such luck. Had a beautiful female but she died prematurely. Have a dwarf female now that's pretty cool.

My Budgett's has quite the chomper and teeth as well!

I'm jealous you have a male, good for you, nice looking pixie.

...Jefroka

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Scientific name for african burrowing bull frog is pyxicephalus adspersus commonly referred to as "pixie" frog.

...Jefroka

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks ya'll, I lucked out on this one. Bought as a froglet last year and he turned out not only male but adspersus. He's definitely my best garbage disposal, helping me keep the roaches in check now that he can eat adults. Budget's frogs are some awesome looking critters, share some pics of that beast when you get a chance please!

Jefroka

5 Year Member
I'll take some pics of my Budgett's when I get a chance, perhaps a video.

I gave my Budgett's and my dwarf female pixie rat pinkies today. They pounced, especially my dwarf pixie. Gone in one swoop!

...Jefroka

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam