• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Cuban rock iguanas?

joshandjack

5 Year Member
heres my tucker
tucker2.jpg
[/img]

joshandjack

5 Year Member
thanks! hes going on four years old i think, so i am going to try and breed him this spring, but he still has a little growing left to do.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Your Cuban rock looks awesome, he looks real nice!! Thanks for sharing.

dorton

5 Year Member
Beautiful!
A friend of mine has one, and I think the are completely stunning
in person.

mdmtmm

5 Year Member
Very nice Cuban. The Cyclura are a great animal and pet. How big is yours right now at 4 years old?

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Cubans are awesome but you have to be patient because they can be slow growers. Well worth the effort when they get to be about 12-15 years old and really have some size on them. I really enjoy my Cubans...not as much as the Rhinos but almost.
485P5213245.JPG

485P10100661.JPG

joshandjack

5 Year Member
man those are some pretty cubans, are they both female, they look friendly. my female was raised outdoors before i bought her, so she is only relarively tame, but she has tamed down quite a bit. Do you use the screename jif, on the kingsnake forums, i think i might have seen your lizards there before.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Yeah, I'm jiffypop on KS. The top photo is of my pair and was taken quite some time ago. The male is on the bottom. He has developed some wonderful rusty red coloration on his belly and chest. I need to get some new photos of him. The bottom photo is of a female that I lost to egg peritonitis 4 years ago. Her name was Doonie and she was the tamest Cuban I had ever seen. She often would crawl under the covers with me at night to sleep.

joshandjack

5 Year Member
sorry to hear about doonie. Do you own the one on the avatar as well. i want to guess what it is, so give me a hint, Ctenosaura or cyclura?

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Well, it is a Cteno but not melanosterna. Here are a couple of hints...it is an island dweller and is more rare in captivity than melanosterna. It is endangered due to destruction of it's natural habitat.

joshandjack

5 Year Member
oh my god, i didnt even think people owned Bakeri's thats why i didnt even try to guess. man you are lucky, how did you get him.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
You just have to know the right people. :) This animal was originally hatched in Germany and sent to the US to be part of a breeding program. That program has been very successfull and the breeder had a surplus of males. Since I do alot of presentations on education and conservation I was offered one of these extra males on contract. Basically I can't sell or breed him and I must give him back if I decide I don't want to keep him any longer.

Elvis is an amazing animal and I've enjoyed having him here so much. As far as Ctenos go he is very tame and tolerates handling well. I keep several species of Ctenos...similis, quinquecarinata, palearis, conspicuosa, pectinata (normal and banana phase), and the bakeri. I'm surprised that there isn't more interest in these lizards because they are interesting captives.

485P3121691.JPG

485palearis1.JPG

485485brothers2.jpg

joshandjack

5 Year Member
beautiful ctenos, im really thinking about getting a similis when i have room. despite what people think they make awesome pets. i used to have a beautiful male, in an out door cage, but one day he escaped and ran up a nieghbors tree. he used to sit out on the neighbors branch and tease me. the palearis and bananas look beautiful to. in the future, you should let me know if you have any available. if you have any images of the conspicuosas id love to see them too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny