• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Colombian Tegus: A Comprehensive Guide

m3s4

Golden20Tegu1.jpg

What's up all?

So I just wanted to create an informative and educational guide that everyone with colombian tegu experience can chime in on.
A collective of information from everyone, if you will.

Argentinian tegus get plenty of attention and love throughout the forum and they're highly sought after, but what about colombians?

If you have had, still have or wish to get yourself a colombian tegu, this thread is for you. Here we can compile and conglomerate all of our experiences with these colorful, animated and often vocal tegus.

If you have information you'd like to share with the rest of us, let this be the place to do it.

The basics:

1) Feeding - As a juvenile, sub-adult and adult what do you feed your colombian? How often do you feed him? What type of supplements are supplied with the food you give your colombian?

2) Housing - what do you consider a good enclosure for your colombian? Do you have an aquarium? A cage? A temporary hide? A complete room? What are the dimensions of it? Humidity and temp levels? Basking temp? Night time temps? Does your colombian get to free-roam? What type of lamps and what wattage?

3) Taming Procedures - do you interact with your colombian or does he/she just lounge around in his cage with little or no contact? Do you regularly handle your columbian? What techniques, if any, have you used to calm and tame your colombian?

4) Problems - What types of problems, if any, have you encountered with your colombian? Does he bite? Hiss? Gape? Whip? Is he unruly? Unmanageable? Unwilling to trust you? Has he stopped eating? Does he eat too much? If your colombian has developed a sickness or come down with a bacteriological infection, how was he treated?

5) Success stories - while they are the most commonly seen tegus, in shops and as pets, colombians often get a bad wrap for being the most aggressive, most difficult and most problematic of all tegus. Do you find this to be true or are they truly even worthy of this stigma? Have you tamed/trained your colombian? If so, what has he learned ie; is he potty trained? Will he come when calling his name?

6) Anything else - anything you'd like the members of our forum to know about your colombian goes here.

I hope we can gather as much colombian information as possible here. That way, people can easily find one semi-goto, informative thread, lead by experienced colombian tegu owners.

TeguLizardSpreadOutFacingLeft.jpg

m3s4

The basics:

1) Feeding - As a juvenile, sub-adult and adult what do you feed your colombian? How often do you feed him? What type of supplements are supplied with the food you give your colombian?

I feed all of my colombians lean turkey. I'd say it makes up 50% of their diet. The other 50% is made up with raw eggs (when feeding them raw, I supplement with vitamins that give plenty of extra biotin) scrambled and hard-boiled. Juveniles and sub-adults are sometimes fed feeders, roaches, crickets and super-worms. It really just depends on their tastes but turkey and eggs seems to be a preferred food choice.

**I try to ween my tegus off of live food asap because I feel it helps tame them by reducing an aggressive feeding response. They don't need live food - with supplements, food such as turkey, eggs, some lean beef and even fruits and vegetables (except for those high in potassium - bananas) are fine. Fish is also a good food for tegus. I've fed mine sardines and tuna before.

Whenever I have a problem with one of them eating, I offer a 50/50 water/egg mix with calcium powder supplements and a powder vitamin that has additional biotin.

2) Housing - what do you consider a good enclosure for your colombian? Do you have an aquarium? A cage? A temporary hide? A complete room? What are the dimensions of it? Humidity and temp levels? Basking temp? Night time temps? Does your colombian get to free-roam? What type of lamps and what wattage?

I house my tegus together in small portable hides:

1700DT.jpg

These are used as sleepers. They're easy to clean, extremely durable and can fit in almost any vehicle should you need to transport your tegu. Since tegus sleep most of the day away, I have these sleepers set up with small blankets and pillows. My tegus don't burrow - they simply make a bed under anything that's soft. When they want to come out, they're usually found laying on top of their beds looking out the mesh door at me.

These are large enough for them to sleep (even my 8lb 5 year old B&W loves her hide) yet small enough where they feel safe in them. They get to a point where they KNOW this is home - this is where I go to sleep. I've had my tegus put themselves to bed by just walking right in and going under the blankets. Tegus in the wild have burrows or dens if you will, and they aren't very big - just enough for them to be cozy and be able to move around in.

During the day, I have rooms they hang out in with a UVB light kept on and they go to it when they need to warm up or get more UVB.

Aside from that, I let my tegus roam freely. They potty each 1x (in the tub) then they get to eat, roam, nap etc. I don't believe in caging because that's just a fancy term for prison imo. These animals are way too smart, way too curious and get way too bored to be kept in a cage 95% of their lives.

As a result, I get tame tegus that aren't cage or food aggressive that get to live with me, not away from me.

I use Zoomed Power Sun UVB lamps because they last and give off plenty of UVB for the rated 1 year. I use 160watt bulbs because these get hot enough to also act as a heat source. My basking temps are around 105 degrees and at night they are kept around 75 degrees. Whenever possible I let my tegus lounge around outside in my garden. Nothing beats the Sun's UVB range + intensity and they absolutely love basking outside.

My humidity levels vary here in Colorado, but it's arid to say the least. I like to keep my humidity levels around 45-50% (for myself and my tegus) anything more just promotes mold. These levels are fine - I only increase the level when they are shedding and have had no problems doing this.

3) Taming Procedures - do you interact with your colombian or does he/she just lounge around in his cage with little or no contact? Do you regularly handle your columbian? What techniques, if any, have you used to calm and tame your colombian?

I find that interacting as much as possible with my tegus offers not only the best lifestyle for them, but also myself. I've seen tegus crave attention - as many others have. Knowing how smart they are, and also doing my own research into how they behave and react in the wild, I use different approaches to taming them.

Most importantly, I think you have to have a natural affinity towards animals. If you don't, you're going to have a hard time dealing with and taming a colombian tegu. These aren't beginner reptiles and they can often lash out with no apparent cause. You have to be acutely aware of your tegus disposition, body language and eye contact.

When it comes to my approach, it's very, very hands on. You can't just reach in and grab a tegu however, if he isn't watching you it will startle him and that's just not a good way to go about it. You have to be gentle. You have to use slow movements when they're young so they don't have a fight or flight reaction every time they see you or your hand.

To warm up new tegus, some people use articles of clothing with their scent on it and keep it in their tegus cage. I don't do this. I'm sure it works quite well - but I've never seen the point. I let my tegus seem me then lick me 90% of the time *before* I pick them up just so they know it's me. Then, when I'm holding them, I let them lick me as much as possible.

When holding them, I gently clasp them around their mid-section with a very light grip. I rub them on their necks and back and talk to them. They get used to my voice, my scent and how I smell (hopefully not like Armani all the time) and it isn't long before they begin to accept you, trust you and build a relationship with you.

For problematic tegus, I recommend bathing them in warm water where they are forced to be near you, can't run off and are way less likely to bite. When they are forced to swim, they aren't ever going to try and bite. They have no balance, they have to stay afloat and they don't want to gulp water or risk going under. Let them swim around awhile, get tired then you can pet them, talk to them and come to your hands/arms to get out of the water. Perfect way to form trust - you force them to use you as a platform and come to you. Works wonders with bad-boys and girls.

Taming is really a no-brainer - you just have to stay committed, be patient, be gentle and use a little common sense. Respect them, don't mistreat or handle them and you should have no problems.

Chances are, if you don't interact with your tegu, keep him caged all the time, feed him live food all the time you'll have a miserable, mean, aggressive tegu all the time. Do the opposite, you'll likely achieve significantly better results.

4) Problems - What types of problems, if any, have you encountered with your colombian? Does he bite? Hiss? Gape? Whip? Is he unruly? Unmanageable? Unwilling to trust you? Has he stopped eating? Does he eat too much? If your colombian has developed a sickness or come down with a bacteriological infection, how was he treated?

My first colombian, Sam, was a jumper. He absolutely loved to jump. For me, this was a problem. He tried to jump out of windows, he jumped in my plants and subsequently knocked them over, he'd jump out of his rubbermaid food bin...Man he loved to jump - and he was goooood at it. That was a problem that went away with age, I couldn't do much about it so luckily he grew (literally) out of that stage.

He bit me maybe 3 times. Why? My own foolishness. He'd love to go under my bed and try and go under my throw rug all the time. At night, with a light on, it was dim in my room - under my bed even worse. A few times I had to reach under there to get him and when I did I was bit on the thumb. Nothing major but Sam couldn't see what was grabbing him and he was still young and learning. After the last time, I was never bit by him again. He outgrew that little "not knowing" stage as well.

He used to "stand tall" and puff at me when he was around a year old. I attribute it to being an adolescent and just being cranky. He was a very independent lizard that liked *attention*, but he learned how to huff and never stopped. It was just part of him and while some people see it as a problem, I absolutely loved it. He had different types of huffs too - and you could tell the "half-assed huffs" from the "I mean business huffs". But even with that, he would never ever, gape at us, whip us, bite us or generally be mis-behaved. He was incredibly tame and trusted me 100% - as I did with him.

I can honestly say I had no problems with Sam - or my new baby golds for that matter.

5) Success stories - while they are the most commonly seen tegus, in shops and as pets, colombians often get a bad wrap for being the most aggressive, most difficult and most problematic of all tegus. Do you find this to be true or are they truly even worthy of this stigma? Have you tamed/trained your colombian? If so, what has he learned ie; is he potty trained? Will he come when calling his name?

I think colombians get a bad wrap for being aggressive because they are so cheap (compared to blues, reds, b&w's) and so readily available at pet stores across the country. Couple that with owners who know little to nothing about reptiles and you get a nasty situation with an aggressive tegu and a ticked-off owner. Does this mean they are all mean? Of course not. Actually, on this site, there is a thread about biting. I have to say I'm surprised to see how many people have been bitten by B&W's, blues and reds - as opposed to colombians.

So again, lots of colombians in the hands of lots of people which more then likely don't know much about common tegus = problems. Most people that look for argentinians KNOW about tegus, have done research about them and will offer them good homes.

Joe-blow off the street doesn't do this, goes into Pet Heaven, sees a colombian, thinks "wow that's a cool lizard", buys him for 45$, throws him in a 20 gallon tank with a heat lamp, water dish and pinkie. Then just watches him from outside the tank from time to time until the novelty wears off and one day he goes to pick him up. He gets bit. The tegu flips out. You know where this is headed.......Multiply this by the thousands and you can see why they get a bad rep.

Speaking for myself, my colombian tamed down just as much if not more then my B&W and I'm seeing the same incredible results with 2 new babies.

Also, Sam was potty trained. He would wait to go to the bathroom in the tub - like many tegus.

6) Anything else - anything you'd like the members of our forum to know about your colombian goes here.

Tegus are smart. Real smart. They know their names, they know how to get your attention and they get used to routines - just like we do. In life, I believe you get out what you out in and raising a tegu is no different.

I'll leave you all with this. And you let me know if you think this is trust and intelligence. So I took Sam to vet a couple years ago for a check-up.
I had him in a small carrier like the one pictured in "housing".

So the vet calls us back into her room and ask us to place Sam while still in his carrier on the table. I do, of course. What happens next is remarkable. She unzipped the front door and Sam cocked his head and puffed up. She was apprehensive at this point but we assured her it was ok to pick him up - so she did....

At least she tried! She grabbed him and took him out of the carrier and he started doing barrel roll after barrel roll, squirming and trying everything he could to get away from her! Clawing, lashing, writhing, hissing. He was totally freaking out and I'd never seen him do this before. So, I took it upon myself to go up to them both, reach for Sam (at which point she handed him over to me) and he (instantaneously) totally calmed down 100%...he just sat in my arms...Content. At this point I knew he felt safe again and that he was in the arms of familiarity, trust and love.

Even the vet made a comment that what she had just seen was remarkable and that she had never witnessed it before with reptiles - only dogs and some cats.

I was a changed person after that. My fondness for Sam grew 1000x in 5 minutes and I knew right there and then that tegus were more astonishing then even I gave them credit for.

So, you tell me if that's a trusting, loving, highly intelligent colombian tegu.

I firmly believe in yes to all the above.

Good luck with all your colombians and remember, if you need any help, this forum is filled with information regarding these magnificent lizards.

Read more: http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=11113#ixzz1pxm3NSkm

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
I'm in the process of typing up my response. I've been on vacation in Florida the past week and haven't had time just to sit down and answer all your questions. As soon as I'm done with it, I promise I will post.

Grendel

Wrap
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You may want to change all the

Wrap to rap

WRAP
Not to be confused with Rap (disambiguation) or Rapt (disambiguation).
Look up wrap in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
Contents  [hide] 
1 Storage and preservation
2 Media and the arts
3 Marketing and finance
4 Products and services
5 Other
6 See also
Wrap or WRAP may refer to:
[edit]Storage and preservation

Overwrap, a wrapping of items in a package or a wrapping over packages
Plastic wrap, a thin, clear, flexible plastic used to cover food
Shrink wrap, a polymer used to bundle boxes on a pallet for transport
Gift wrap or wrap paper, used to enclose a present

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
1 Feeding - As a juvenile, sub-adult and adult what do you feed your colombian? How often do you feed him? What type of supplements are supplied with the food you give your colombian?

Diet wise I don't change anything both of mine (B&W / Colombian) eat the same thing. That varies from mixed meat meals with fruits and veggies (sometimes) to whole prey. I'm not big on feeding eggs Korben is a year old, he's only had one egg and that was raw. I used what left over calcium supplements I had from my previous tegus when I got Korben until I ran out and haven't used any since. All of his meaty meals have bones cut up into it so the supplements are not needed.

2 Housing - what do you consider a good enclosure for your colombian? Do you have an aquarium? A cage? A temporary hide? A complete room? What are the dimensions of it? Humidity and temp levels? Basking temp? Night time temps? Does your colombian get to free-roam? What type of lamps and what wattage?

He's currently in a Exo Terra terrarium with a 160w Mega Ray MV bulb. Humidity and temps are currently at 63% with a basking gradient of 98*-107.6*. The humidity changes since I let his substrate dry out at times, the only time it goes above the 60s is when he's in shed. He's still small enough to fit places he shouldn't be so no free roaming with out his leash and harness in the house or the backyard.

He didn't do well with forced handling so I switched to hands off like my AA Tricky. Which is letting him approach me and or come out of the enclosure on his own. Usually when he's already antsy and wants out anyway. He has his days where he'll climb onto my hand and up to my shoulder to hang out. While others he'll jump over my hand to get out and doesn't want to be touched. But I still have to get him and put his harness and leash on.

I haven't had any issues with him being sick or anything like that. He has the typical Colombian don't underestimate my size attitude, with huffs and puffs. But hasn't tried to bite since he was little. Even then I would have gloves on and let him bite it. Hang on shake it or what ever until he calmed down. Just so he learned that biting won't stop anything.

5) Success stories - while they are the most commonly seen tegus, in shops and as pets, colombians often get a bad wrap for being the most aggressive, most difficult and most problematic of all tegus. Do you find this to be true or are they truly even worthy of this stigma? Have you tamed/trained yourcolombian? If so, what has he learned ie; is he potty trained? Will he come when calling his name?

He's not trained in any way but I don't think they deserve their rep. Most people don't know or just fail to realize that they are the smallest therefore lower on the food chain. Fight or Flight is a part of survival and when you have an animal in a situation where they can't run anymore then some will choose to fight. Which can take quite a bit of time to work through and get past it. On top of that most are wild caught or farm raised anyway. So still closer to wild than not.

Other than that they have different personalities and not all will react the same in every situation. But I do love :D the little bit of attitude that some of them retain. They may be smaller but no always easier to handle.

MadameButterfly

Mine is only about 8 months old so I generally feed her pinkys, boiled eggs, ground turky and ground chicken. The odd time I'll feed her a furry but after that she generally won't eat then for a few days it's only once or twice a month. Most calcium she gets from the chicken and turkey because I ground it bones and all.

I have a custom made avarium that I am always adding to,it is built in a way I designed so that it is always expandable and can have as many levels added as I like. It's 6 foot long, 2 wide and 4 high, her and my snake also have their own room that is sun facing all day. As for her heat lamp I haven't a clue what the wattage is, I think about 160 and my snakes tank connects to the top of it so the other end of the avauium the snakes heat mat is in between both tanks and is on 24hours a day so the avarium is always warm. It's a foot off the floor but I have detatchable netting she can use to get in and out and free roam in the room when I am there.

Usually I handle her everyday but I just moved recently and am still trying to get my things together so don't have as much time as usual but I still try spend and hour a day quiet time with her

She's the tasmian devil, I stopped trying to catch her ages ago and now let her come to me, she use to bite but not anymore although she will still hiss at times. As for sickness she had a prolapse when I first got her but it was fine the next day and 2 lumps on her back once which cleared up the next day too

She can be agressive at times but as bubblz said they are low on the food chain so it is to be expected. I'll just give her all the time she needs because at the end of the day it's all any of us can do.

Most old timers know it but as a new person toTegus I've learned NEVER disturb them if they are burrowing even if they haven't shown their face in a few days, all you'll do is disturb their safe space and lose any trust you've built up and when trying to pick them up don't try grab them, let them come to you because grabbing them is another sure fire way to lose their trust and if they snap at or bite you don't pull away. The quick movement will scare them and besides it doesn't hurt. A paper cut would hurt more.

m3s4

Glad to hear your little guy is doing fine now and there are no more bumps.

Thanks for sharing your colombian tegu information with us and best of luck with him in the future.

xzombiex

The basics:

When he was just a month or so old, I was feeding Django a little bit of everything, testing what he liked, didn't like, etc. Now that he's a little over a year, he has a steady diet of hard boiled or scrambled eggs, lean ground turkey, and sometimes chicken. He will not eat veggies or fruits, I've tried to mix them up in his scrambled eggs and he just eats around them. I always use supplements to make sure he's getting enough vitamins and calcium. I never fed him live, as I have done this before in the past with my nile and savannah monitors and feel that it tends to make them more aggressive.

For his housing, I have a 6' long x 2' high x 2.5' deep with locking sides for the top. For substrate I prefer CareFresh, which is a recycled paper product. It's easy to clean and he loves to burrow in it. I try to keep his humidity around 70, his warm side at around 100 during the day and 80 at night, cool side is usually around 70. Basking temp is around 108-110. I let him free roam in the upstairs hallway, that way he can't wedge his way under or behind anything (they're good at that). Usually he spends his time climbing on me.

We are inseparable, unless I'm at work. He will lay in bed with me, walk around the house on my head, we eat together sometimes. I've done this since I got him, when he was a hatchling. As far as taming, he's never really shown any aggression, this is probably due to the amount of handling. Occasionally when I wake him up he'll huff but I pick him up and he's fine. Since he was younger I made it a habit to keep my hands around his food. This may be foolish, but it's gotten him used to me being around his meal. I can wipe his mouth off while he's eating, I can put my fingers on his plate and move his food around. I haven't been bitten yet, maybe one day but so far I've been lucky.

The only real problem I've had with him is having to amputate part of his tail. I don't know how it happened, but I came home from work one day and the last inch of his tail was bent in half. I took him to the vet the next day and had it taken off. It was pretty easy to take care of, I scrubbed it with the medicine the vet gave me, along with some silver ointment stuff. He was very well behaved and let me clean the wound with no problem, he even sat still while I did it.

I find it completely false. My Colombian is extremely tame, sometimes hyper, but never aggressive or the least bit problematic. I used to have him climb to my shoulder when I'd say "shoulder" and tap it, but we haven't done that in awhile.

He is by far the best reptile I've had. He is the sweetest, funniest not-so-little guy I've come across. I got him at an expo (wasn't planning on it at all), and asked to see the tegus, so the guy brings out this container-ish thing with a bunch of them in it. He opens the top and out jumps a baby tegu right on me. And that's when I fell in love :)

Read more: http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=11113#ixzz1spfSb14D

m3s4

That's awesome - sounds like when he jumped on you, it was something that (for the both of you) was meant to be.

Like you, I also keep my hands near their food, hand feed them on a regular basis and wipe off any food that didn't manage to make it into their mouths. I also agree they are the best reptile(s) I've had.

Thanks for sharing and if there's ever anything else you'd like to add as time goes on, please do so.

xzombiex

I would like to clarify that when I mentioned we sometimes eat together, it is NOT off of the same plate lol. Just side by side at the counter...he has jumped into my food on more than one occasion though, had to throw out almost a whole plate of food quite a few times. So just a word of advice, don't trust them around your food if they aren't eating too because they WILL go for it!

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Here's my contribution. Sorry it took so long, life's been a little crazy lately.

1. Kodo is fed a diet consisting of the following: turkey, lean beef, lean pork, gizzards, liver, snails, silversides, rats, chicks, quail, and hard-boiled eggs. When he was young, his diet was mostly insectivorous: crickets, snails, grasshoppers, nightcrawlers, silversides, and mice. Sometimes he gets a treat like lamp chops or roast beef, and I am always looking to add more variety to his diet. I try to feed him at least a small portion every day, but sometimes Kodo doesn’t come out of his burrow or I am out all day so he sometimes goes a day or two between meals. This doesn’t seem to bother him or cause him any health issues. Kodo has grown roughly an inch a month in my care on this diet. I try to feed whole prey more often than I do other meats, as they have the most balance nutritional value, and as a result I use minimal supplementation. Sometimes I coat the meat is crushed eggshell for added calcium.

2. Kodo lives in a custom-built vivarium that measures 60 inches long by 30 inches deep by 24 inches high. It’s slightly smaller than the minimum recommended for a tegu, but Colombians don’t get as large as the Argentines or reds and I couldn’t fit a 6x3 tank in my room. I use a 24-inch 10.0 florescent UV bulb as the primary light source, and have a basking spot with a 100-watt Powersun UB bulb and a 100-watt infrared bulb. The infrared is never turned off and I use it as a nightlight. All the bulbs are Zoo Med. With this setup, I can keep the temperature on the cool side in the low to mid 80s with the warm end at around 107 at its hottest. The coolest it ever gets is around 75 at night. I mist the entire tank thoroughly every morning to maintain proper humidity levels, although I mist more heavily when Kodo is in shed. For substrate, I prefer Zoo Med’s eco-earth as it holds moisture, is great for digging, and won’t impact your animals. Kodo is allowed to free roam my room, but only under my supervision. He does not come out when I am not home.

3. I try to take Kodo out for at least 30 to 60 minutes every day. The only times I don’t take him out are when he stays in his burrow (I don’t like to dig him out) or when I’m out of the house all day. As a result of regular handling and being treated with good old-fashioned TLC, Kodo has become very docile and friendly. He enjoys coming out and socializing, although he is more of a walk-around-and-explore lizard than a stay-in-one-spot-for-extended-periods-of-time lizard. I treat him with respect and may close attention to his body language and I can read Kodo like a book at this point. I know his limits, but he is unbelievable tolerant of not just people but he will even allow my dachshunds to interact with him. If he doesn’t like a situation, Kodo just turns around and walks away or tries to get back to me. Nothing seems to rile him up. I did not use gloves and do not believe in them unless the risk of injury is sufficient. Skin-to-skin contact familiarizes your reptiles to your scent and touch, and a bare hand is less intimidating to a lizards or snake than a big, bulky glove. Offering your tegu your hand to smell, much as one would with a dog, is an excellent way to build trust.

4. I have literally had zero problems with Kodo. He has never given any display of aggression. No gaping, no back-arching, no tail-whipping, no hissing, no biting, no NOTHING. He doesn’t even feed with the aggressive response common to tegus and monitors. Kodo is regularly taken to the vet and is quite popular with the technician staff; as of this writing he has a clean bill of health and has never had any major health issues.

5. Kodo is my far the best reptile I’ve ever owned. I would ever go so far as to compare him to my first dog, Tawny. I am still not used to having a reptile that gives back so much, even after almost a year. His behavior is, for lack of a better word, mammalian. Kodo reacts to all manner of auditory and visual stimuli that most other lizards would ignore and he displays a well-developed sense of curiosity. His awareness of his environment is astounding. All the bad things I have read on Colombian tegus have so far seemed to be untrue. Even my peers in the local reptile are stunned at Kodo’s tamness and how he interacts with me. I have become a genuine “tegu person” much like some are “dog people” or “cat people.” Kodo behaves very differently when I am not around, or so I am told. He apparently looks for me, sulks when he doesn’t find me, declines to interact with even people he knows and likes, and doesn’t eat much. He is much calmer in my arms than while being held my others, although he does enjoy attention when he is in the right mood. All my friends adore him. Kodo displays intelligence on par with my dachshunds. He can problem solve, knows that my fingers are not food so I can safely hand-feed him if I wish, responds to his name, and looks people in the face and observes them back. I love him very, very much.

6. This species does not deserve its ill reputation and if you are looking for a larger lizard that is a bit of a challenge at times but tremendously rewarding, I highly suggest you get yourself a Colombian tegu.

m3s4

Nice to see your contribution.

Indeed, Kodo sounds like a great example of a well cared-for, quite tame Colombian.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
m3s4 said:
Nice to see your contribution.

Indeed, Kodo sounds like a great example of a well cared-for, quite tame Colombian.

Yeah, Kodo is great. I take pride in his upkeep and he's my #1 reptile. I use the fact that he's so tame to tach people that not everything written about reptiles is correct and you should give them the benefit of the doubt before giving in to ignorance-based fear. Like I said, sorry it took so long to get my post up. Parents have been out of town, my sand boa got sick, and I was just let go from my job so this hasn't been a priority. I still felt compelled to contribute, as there isn;t a lot of good Colombian-specific info out there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam