• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Collapse Risk?

apocalypse910

This may be a dumb question but I'm a first time tegu owner and a bit paranoid. My tegu has a huge basking rock in his cage. He has, of course, burrowed underneath it extensively.

Do I need to worry about him digging too much and getting crushed or are they smart enough not to over-dig? The stone is quite heavy - not sure how I didn't anticipate him getting under it though .

I'm considering digging up the area, placing cinder-blocks under the stone and reburying everything. I've only had him a week though and I don't want to traumatize him by destroying his tunnels. It just seems like he digs more and more everyday and I couldn't deal with him getting hurt.

the_cw

Always, *always* make sure structures in a reptile's enclosure are secured to the bottom. He will try and burrow under it at some point. They're smart, really, and know what they're doing, but recognize he wants to dig and doesn't have much room. "Boredom", if you will.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Definitely put the cinder blocks under it asap. A little stress for him is better than being crushed.

apocalypse910

Thanks for the advice - I fixed the setup last night. Rather than being stressed he seems to like the changes. The basking rock is higher now, and closer to the light. He also can get into, and between, the cinder blocks which is endlessly entertaining for him. He seems to love popping in and out of random exits- If I didn't know better I'd think he was showing off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980