• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Bulb, Heat Lamp Distance and Heat Buildup

Justin

5 Year Member
I my 4x8 enclosure Im using 100 and 160 watt mercury vaper bulbs to get the proper basking temp over enough area.
I ran into 3 issues:
1. Does to the distance needed to achieve proper surface Temps my tegu could possibly get burned by the bulbs.
2. Tegus can jump this lead to him climbing the light fixture attempting to get out. This is not good for him or me as it can shorten the life of the bulbs and lead to injury or fire.
3. Heat buildup, now that I have enough heat on the surface my ambient Temps have been climbing as summer approaches.

My current setup

My solution involves placing my fixture in an enclosed box attached to the roof with a vent to allow built up hot air in the box to escape.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602