• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Bipolar in/out of enclosure?

RaptorDude

So things have been going generally well with my four month old b&w Argentine girl Moxxi whom I've had for a little over a month now. I've adjusted her cage temps nicely, learned to vary her diet, and have attempted to socialize with her every chance I get. She's lost her flightiness and doesn't skitter away or tail whip at all when I attempt to touch or bring my hand near her. There's been great progress in only a month. However, I'm scared I'm doing something wrong.

In her enclosure, she no longer shoots away from me, as stated. The most she does is act wary when I bring my hand close, such as slowly moving away or bringing her head back in caution - nothing too major. But she doesn't show much curiosity in her outside world. Now I can almost always scoop her up gently to be handled, no problem. She does squirm in my hands practically every time, but seems perfectly okay if I just let her go to rest on my arm herself. She's only huffed twice in her entire time with me, has never hissed, and has never attempted to bite.

Outside the enclosure, she usually perks up. Lately, I tend to place her on my bed to roam around on it and on myself. She usually looks for a place to push her head under, but she has no issues climbing up onto me herself repeatedly. All of this only seems to happen if I make the effort to lift her out of the enclosure, though.

I know she's still young and there's a ways to go, but I just worry. She had been coming out on her own most mornings, but now she buries herself under her water dish for days and hardly eats. She's not skinny and looks normal, as far as I can tell. I've been uncovering her when it hits the 3 or 4 day mark because I get worried and want to make sure she realizes there's food for her, but I may stop doing that and let things go back more onto her own terms. Does that sound good? I just don't like the idea of her not eating anything for up to a week =\

b4fb4068-bee4-45cb-af48-a108911365c5.jpg

20161015_143150.jpg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You're doing well. If healthy, she'll eat as needed. Sounds like a natural winter slowdown.Also, nice going on your progress. I see a very content tegu.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam