• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

*Baby Red Tegu*

Pavlor

Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked a million times. I'm getting a baby red tegu boy that came into the world on 28th May, so he'll be four months old. I'm in contact with the breeder but I think all info is the best way to go about it. I found this whilst sniffing around the forum: http://www.tegutalk.com/threads/tegu-care-sheet.7704/
But someone said this is outdated and needs updating -- if so, could anyone direct me to an updated version? Thanks!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked a million times. I'm getting a baby red tegu boy that came into the world on 28th May, so he'll be four months old. I'm in contact with the breeder but I think all info is the best way to go about it. I found this whilst sniffing around the forum: http://www.tegutalk.com/threads/tegu-care-sheet.7704/
But someone said this is outdated and needs updating -- if so, could anyone direct me to an updated version? Thanks!
It is fine as is, in my opinion. Glad you are looking on this site. Good luck with the new tegu.

Pavlor

It is fine as is, in my opinion. Glad you are looking on this site. Good luck with the new tegu.

Thanks, Walter1. Am getting him in September so I have time to do as much research as possible. There was something I found a little ambiguous - should the beef liver and cod liver oil be put into the ground turkey and fed every day? It said "once a week" in the link but then went on to say how to mix it all in and freeze it, etc.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No. Beef and cod liver oil is its own meal. Another meal is ground turkey or chicken thigh meat, another is whole prey, such as frozen/ thawed mice, another can be high quality wet dog food. Always dust with plain calcium. Fruit sometimes is good if it'll take it. Hardboiled egg is good. Whole prey should dominate.

Pavlor

It says to add the beef liver and cod liver oil into the ground turkey, that's why I found it ambiguous. Just trying to sort it all out and it's always difficult at first! So the staple should be f/t mice and chicks then ground turkey/beef liver/cod liver oil once a week plus calcium-dusted insects and fruit?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It says to add the beef liver and cod liver oil into the ground turkey, that's why I found it ambiguous. Just trying to sort it all out and it's always difficult at first! So the staple should be f/t mice and chicks then ground turkey/beef liver/cod liver oil once a week plus calcium-dusted insects and fruit?
Yes, that's a good plan. Remember, tegus are primarily carnivores. In the wild, a meal's a meal, so they'll scavenge and eat frits, etc. For best health, above is good. As he grows, and they grow FAST, insects will drop out of the diet. Last thing, while I'm thinking about it, small prey= two small mice better than one large mouse.

Bon apetite!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam