• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Anyone successfully force handle your GU for taming?

JGPierce

I visit him multiple times per day and when he's hungry, he'll run up to the glass when he sees me, however he will not let me pet him or pick him up without a struggle.
Sometimes he'll relax and let me pet him, but he's not very comfortable with it.

I have a dog fence that folds out to a 4x4 area. Lately I've been picking him up and placing him in there with me occasionally picking him up and placing him in my lap. I'm all petting him and offering super worms.

Is this stress actually hindering my effort of taming him, or will it likely make him accept me faster?

I would prefer someone whom has successfully or unsuccessfully accomplished this.

Thanks in advance.

JGPierce

This was my first post so I'll introduce my guy is an 11 month old B&W x Red, however he looks B&W.
The mom was 50\50 and the father was high white B&W.
I'm new to Tegu's, but not reptiles as I've owned numerous snakes.
My collection is down to my Tegu and a hypo/trans orange/red leatherback bearded dragon (that was long).

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Being off of the ground is bothersome to tegus, but they get used to it when they are not picked up from above and when the time between ground to get to lap or chest isn't lingering.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Daily interaction of some sort is key so that you are a part of their daily routine and life. Daily maintenance, as Bearded says, is part of it.

Justsomedude

yea mine does the exact same thing however he is a lot younger. Just keep at it I find once I have him in hand he calms down. Some people I have heard of wont even handle until after the first year! So don't fret as they get older they become more docile alongside good husbandry.

Justin

5 Year Member
Mine was the same but I made it a goal to feed him outside his enclosure which involved catching him. With time he quit running from me and will now come and crawl on my arm if he wants out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoeiyehi