• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Aggressive eater

Kfox

Hi, I got a Argentine black and white tegu at an expo a month ago and I know my tegu still needs to get used to me and I still need to build trust, but he is really aggressive with feeding, like not like he's gonna kill me aggressive, but like he acts like he hasn't ate in weeks and when I hand feed him he jumps on it and sometimes misses and gets my finger. I feed him every other day and he hasn't missed a feed since I got him. I don't know if it's just his normal feeding, I think I'm just over reacting cause he's probably hungry and just so excited to eat, but will he ever grow out of it when he gets used to me and his feeding routine? Thank you for the help

JimB

My B&W is the same way, I think she's around 9 months old but I've only had her about a month and a half now. I don't hand feed her due to all the advice I've read that it's not a good idea.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
By now, your tegu has something of a daily routine. I would set a full bowl of food out for him sometime in the morning before he's up. He's young and should be growing relatively quickly. The goal, I believe, is to keep him growing but not obese.

Kfox

By now, your tegu has something of a daily routine. I would set a full bowl of food out for him sometime in the morning before he's up. He's young and should be growing relatively quickly. The goal, I believe, is to keep him growing but not obese.

Should I feed him in his cage, cause that's what I used to do when I just got him, but he was getting cage aggressive and wouldn't let me even take the bowl out when he was done. He now roams my room and I usually feed him out of his cage. Thank you for the help

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Should I feed him in his cage, cause that's what I used to do when I just got him, but he was getting cage aggressive and wouldn't let me even take the bowl out when he was done. He now roams my room and I usually feed him out of his cage. Thank you for the help
You're welcome.That part is up to you. The important part is that he disassociates you with the food. So, either place, set food in predictable bowl in predictable place while he's asleep. Let us know how it goes.

JimB

This is PepperJack thinking I've got her breakfast ready ... Since I never hand feed her, she just grumbles cause my hand is empy. LOL!

Then she patiently waits for her breakfast .... I do feed her inside her enclosure for now.
PJ4_5_17a.jpg

JimB

That's substrate UNDER her water tub in case you're wondering. I'd never let her water get that dirty and for sure wouldn't take a photo of it.
LafTort.jpg

Kfox

You're welcome.That part is up to you. The important part is that he disassociates you with the food. So, either place, set food in predictable bowl in predictable place while he's asleep. Let us know how it goes.
I started feeding him in a certain place and in a bowl and I see a lot of improvement. He's very chill with me now and he's not aggressive with his food anymore, thank you

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I started feeding him in a certain place and in a bowl and I see a lot of improvement. He's very chill with me now and he's not aggressive with his food anymore, thank you
You're very welcome.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam