• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

A couple of questions before keeping a tegu

Tijmen

Hey!

I am tijmen and i would really like to keep a tegu (argentinia black and white) as a pet. But before i do i have a couple of questions before buying one since i want to make sure i can take enough care for such an awesome animal!

So the first question is do they smell alot and is it possible to build the terrarium under my bed? The size of the terrarium will be 2×1×0.8 (l×w×h in meters). If they dont smell alot and those sizes will do i can ask a professional to build such a terrarium for me. The tegu will also get the possibillity to walk around in my room and sometimes other rooms

The second thing is for around how much money do they eat each month?

I really look forward to your answers and maybe some other things i should think about before buying a tegu

-Tijmen
(Sorry if the english is a bit off)

Jack Curry

Yes there is such thing as shed stink/smell. Also you will have to clean its tank pretty frequently.
That size of tank sounds great for a hatch ling to sub-adult, just make sure you can have proper lighting.
For a hatch ling I recommend feeding them a mostly insect based diet. I have a yearling and am moving him onto a ground beef diet now. Feed your hatch ling everyday, maybe a few crickets, meal worms, eggs shells. I feed my 2 foot tegu 2 big hardy meals each week along with fruit and plenty of calcium. When you first get your tegu make him/her a "big" meal for his size and try and keep track of how much he is eating.
Make sure you do plenty of research before you get a tegu.
I would recommend a yearling tegu, because they have fairly simple diets if you know what you are doing.

-Jack
Hope this helped.

dpjm

5 Year Member
The under the bed enclosure will not work. Too small in all 3 dimensions, especially height. You will have no space for lighting. And yes there is smell.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supportibi