• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

4 month old Red Tegu won't eat

Equies

I got him 10 days ago. The first 2 days I had him, he ate fine. After that he hasn't eaten. For his basking spot he has a 75Watt bulb. Some people are saying that maybe it isn't hot enough. Please help.

Cody096

I use two 160 watt bulbs in my adult argentines, though I'll be changing two a few flood lights as they dry the hell out of the basking area. They're probably about a foot and a half to two feet away and get the 2.5 ft basking area to 110-122.

Equies

I use two 160 watt bulbs in my adult argentines, though I'll be changing two a few flood lights as they dry the hell out of the basking area. They're probably about a foot and a half to two feet away and get the 2.5 ft basking area to 110-122.
I don't have anything in there to measure temp. Going to pick one up and get a hotter bulb, see if that will help.

Cody096

Ceramic or slate tiles hold heat quite well, and it's better to use more than one bulb to get to the desired heat, should get between 110-125. I'd recommend a temp gun sold at a hardware store, they're much cheaper than pet store stuff.

Justin

5 Year Member
First you need an ir temp gun this is used to measure surface temp second you need a thermometer to measure air temperature at both ends of the enclosure. You will also need a hydrometer to measure humidity these are tools used so that you can provide the proper environment for your animal.
Second tegus may or may not brumate/hibernate during winter so don't worry so much about it eating.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam